Feb 12, 2010

A Note to the Residents of HoCo, District 3 (Savage and Surrounding Areas) Re: Blizzard Cleanup



A Note to the Residents of HoCo, District 3 (Savage and Surrounding Areas) Re: Blizzard Cleanup

Dear Neighbors,

Early this afternoon, I spent time at the Howard County Emergency Operations Center, where I met with Governor O’Malley, County Executive Ulman, and many of the County’s department heads. Gov. O’Malley announced that the two storms will be treated as a single weather event by the federal government. This determination will help us in the combined county and state effort to obtain federal funds for storm cleanup. I was impressed with the coordinated effort and the many dedicated county employees who are helping man this center 24 hours a day.

I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening touring the district to survey the cleanup efforts. I found the main roads to be in great shape considering we have had more than four feet of snow in the past week. Many of the secondary roads were in pretty good shape as well. However, there were clearly some that needed more work. I kept a list of those streets and have passed the list along to the County Executive and the Department of Public Works. Following the first storm, I contacted the County Executive with a similar list of streets that had not been adequately addressed, and he was very cooperative in getting additional attention to those areas. I anticipate he will address these new concerns as soon as possible. I will monitor the progress as I did last time.

Going forward, I will continue to work closely with the Emergency Operations Center and other county agencies and do my best to get your concerns addressed as soon as possible. Please feel free to contact me (jterrasa@howardcountymd.gov or at (410)313-4101) with any concerns as we do our best to work through the cleanup from this historic storm. We expect to be back in the office tomorrow. Over the weekend, I plan to monitor my e-mail for snow related concerns and check my voice-mail messages on a regular basis.
I have attached a Snow Emergency Contact List again for your convenience. In addition, I have included County Executive’s Snow Update from earlier this evening.

Stay safe and warm and thank you again for your continued patience and support!

All the best,

Jen

Jennifer Terrasa
Councilwoman
Howard County Council District 3
(410)313-2001
jterrasa@howardcountymd.gov

Snow Emergency Contact List • If you have an emergency, please call 911. Our plows are being coordinated with rescue workers to make sure that they will be able to reach you in case of emergency.
• If you have a non-emergency but urgent situation during this storm, you can call the County Emergency Operations Center directly at (410) 313-2900.
• If you have a gas leak, evacuate immediately and call BGE at (410)685-0123 or 1(800)685-0123.
• If you have a power outage, please call BGE's power outage hotline at 1(877)778-2222, then call (410)313-2900 to report the outage to the Emergency Operations Center as well.
• To report snowplow issues or plowing problems, please call the Emergency Operations Center at (410)313-2900.

No comments: